Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Funeral for Sean Taylor

I work in a school in Washington DC, and one of my coworkers set up a program for some of the students to watch the media coverage of Sean Taylor's funeral. I'm not a big fan of funerals, and have only attended a few in my lifetime. I prefer those types of situations to be small and family focused, rather than elaborate events. However, as I watched the the funeral coverage with the students, I felt it was appropriate.

It made me proud to be a Redskins fan to see how the team represented itself on Monday. It is obvious that this is a tragic situation, but I think the team handled things in a great way. Everybody probably wanted a win on Sunday to honor Taylor, and its too bad the 'Skins couldn't pull it off. However, having the entire organization visit Miami for Taylor's funeral shows what a team and a family should be about. The Redskins went out of their way to show support to their teammate and his grieving family.

I give a lot of credit to Dan Snyder, a thing that Redskins fans rarely do. He is a great businessman, and has obviously been blessed with immense wealth. His generosity in terms of what he pledged for Taylor's daughter, and in shutting down Redskins operations for a day to fly the team to Miami were a sign of how much he cares for one of his players. The example that he and Joe Gibbs sent to the team an to the public was that their season and their game was not more important than Sean Taylor or any other individual that is part of the Redskins.

It certainly is a sobering time to be a Redskins fan right now, and I know it can't compare to what those who were truly close to Sean Taylor have to go through. However, I am proud of the organization that I have grown up cheering for dealing with this loss in such a classy way. The team appears to be handling things as best they can, and I look forward to the game on Thursday night. Although they had maybe the shortest week of preparation and practice in NFL history, I have a feeling that they will come out ready to play against the Bears this week.

No comments: