Sunday, May 20, 2007

Curlin beats out Street Sense

I wasn't one of the revelers at Pimlico yesterday, but did enjoy the racing from the comfort of home. One of my favorite moments from the weekend was watching ESPN's bottom line Friday night and learning that Panty Raid won the Black Eyed Susan Stakes. Props to whoever named that horse, and its sad to think I may never see the words panty raid written on ESPN ever again.

I also enjoyed ESPN's Today at the Preakness coverage of all the early races. Its fun to see the other races and not just tune in for the big one. Kenny Mayne does a great job with Randy Moss(not the Patriot) on the coverage. I loved his comment, "It so exciting I could just put the slots in myself." It also gives them time to show some of Baltimore's finest. The segments with Rob Stone walking the infield with cans of Bud Light strewn about were great. I loved watching him interview one of the trash cleanup guys who I believe was named Willy. Let me reenact part of that conversation as best I can

"Whats the worst thing you've seen today Willy?"

"Probably the urination on the ground. People just going anywhere."

"So what will you do when you get home from all of this?"

"I'll take a shower and have a few cocktails."

Great interview...especially when you throw in the drunk ass white kids posing for the camera behind all of this.

As for the race...it lived up to its top billing. The horses that had been talked about most were the ones who were contending down the stretch. Hard Spun was easily caught by Street Sense. And while it looked like there would easily be another Triple Crown bid at Belmont, Curlin turned it up a notch to grab the win. Great race, and the Preakness proved to me again why it is the most exciting horse race in the country.

No comments: